Intern, Legal - Summer 2023 (Remote/Hybrid)
As a Legal Intern, you’ll impact the lives of everyday people and help them go from surviving to thriving with innovative digital personal finance solutions. The Legal Intern will assist the Legal Department in supporting the company’s various lines of business by endeavoring to understand their pressure points, strategy and objectives and effectively communicating the legal considerations and risks involved in any decisions to the decision makers. As a Legal Intern, you may participate in contract drafting and negotiations; conduct legal research and draft memoranda; evaluate legal issues related to a wide range of issues including state and federal securities, payments and lending laws, as well as privacy, data protection and consumer protection rules and regulations; advise on general corporate governance, transactions and related matters; assist with research and responses to regulator inquiries and consumer complaints; advise HR and the business on a wide-range of employment law matters; and contribute your thoughts to strategic decisions on legal claims and litigation matters.
This is a paid internship with competitive compensation. Because we generally do not hire newly-admitted attorneys, we cannot commit to any post-graduation placement. However, the possibility exists for the position to transition into a more traditional summer clerkship.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with corporate counsel for valuable in-house legal experience
- Learn about financial products and the laws and regulations governing them.
- Gain insight on advising business lines, including review, research and presentation of an opinion on current business operations, new ventures and the creation and implementation of policies and procedures around same.
- Develop understanding and work related experience in many areas of the law, including consumer finance, compliance, privacy, data integrity, labor and employment, contracts and corporations.
- Learn how the business works with, communicates with, and responds to regulators.
- Engage in useful research methods and hone writing skills
What you’ll bring:
- A 2L or 3L pursuing a J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- Strong academic credentials, such as top 25% of law school class, preferred
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication and analytical skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively across diverse groups
- Ability to research legal and business issues and learn new concepts quickly
- Demonstrated curiosity and passion for learning new things
- Interested in the fintech industry
- Impeccable integrity
- Available to start in May of 2023 for 12 weeks during the summer, flexible in-office/work-from home schedule
This is your opportunity to enhance your law school studies with exciting corporate legal experience. Please be prepared to provide a writing sample.
Achieve well-being with:
- Hybrid and remote work opportunities
- 401 (k) employer match
- Medical, dental and vision with HSA and FSA
- Competitive and flexible PTO, including dedicated volunteer days
- Complete wellness support with access to Virgin Pulse, Ginger Health Coaching, and fitness discounts
- A safe place to connect with team members through our six employee resource groups
Join Achieve, change the future
At Achieve, we’re changing millions of lives. From the single parent trying to catch up on bills to the entrepreneur needing a loan for the next phase of growth, you’ll get to be a part of their journey to a better financial future. We’re proud to have over 2,700 employees in mostly hybrid or remote roles across Arizona, California, and Texas and are strategically growing our teams to better serve our members. A career at Achieve is more than a job-it’s a place where you can make a true impact, have a sense of belonging, establish a fulfilling career, while putting your well-being first.
Achieve is a leading digital personal finance company. We help everyday people move from struggling to thriving by providing innovative, personalized financial solutions. By leveraging proprietary data and analytics, our solutions are tailored for each step of our member's financial journey to include personal loans, home equity loans, debt consolidation, financial tools and education. Every day, we get to help our members move their finances forward with care, compassion, and an empathetic touch. We put people first and treat them like humans, not account numbers.
Attention Agencies & Search Firms: We do not accept unsolicited candidate resumes or profiles. Please do not reach out to anyone within Achieve to market your services or candidates. All inquiries should be directed to Talent Acquisition only. We reserve the right to hire any candidates sent unsolicited and will not pay any fees without a contract signed by Achieve’s Talent Acquisition leader.